“I am hoping this year, because I’m a glass half full type of person, that we will see some real progress…”
Mark.Freed / 30 Mar 2023
It has happened every year for the last 5 years. The spring flowers are in full bloom...I am looking forward to summer, optimism and renewal fills the air. Then I’m brought back to earth with an almighty thud as firms publish their gender pay gap statistics.
I am hoping that this year, because I’m a glass half full type of person, that we will see some real progress and that I will be able to discuss on this Lead5050 panel. (tickets still available)
I am hoping that of the thirty one corporate and investment banks that I follow that:
- The seven that employed fewer women in top quartile earning roles in 2021 than they did in 2017 will have changed direction.
- That the gap between women’s mean bonus and men’s will have reduced significantly from 53% it was in 2021.
- That the gap between women’s mean pay and men’s will have reduced significantly from the 71% it was in 2021.
I am hoping that the progress some firms across the financial sector who have signed charters and commitments, like the women in finance charter, will this year be reflected in their gender pay gap numbers.
- I am hoping that the media will no longer confuse equal pay and the gender pay gap and will be able to publish some great news stories about how firms are closing the gap.
- I am hoping that an innovative firm will launch a service that helps firms to understand, compare and close their gender pay gap.
Back to blog