Our thoughts as we approach International Men’s Day 2023
katie.robertson / 29 Sep 2023
As we approach International Men’s Day – 19th November 2023 – Gary Ford and Mark Freed are getting ready for a busy time of the year with many speaker engagements already in the diary. MFI is often asked why businesses should support International Men’s Day, after all isn’t everyday Men’s Day.
For Business Leaders International Men’s Day is another opportunity to speak to male colleagues and show them that DEI is about men as well. Inclusion and Equity is an opportunity and benefit not a threat. At Men for Inclusion we regularly talk to men about the many ‘personal benefits’ of DEI to them; health, wellbeing and life choices.
But Inclusion is also good for men in a workplace setting. In a world where diversity and inclusion are at the forefront of workplace conversations, it's crucial to recognize that inclusion isn't just a women's issue or a matter solely for underrepresented groups. It's a cause that benefits everyone in the workplace including men.
Here are a few compelling reasons why men should actively champion inclusion at work:
- Innovation and Creativity: Diverse teams are more innovative and creative. When different perspectives and experiences come together, they spark new ideas and solutions. Men who embrace inclusion can be part of groundbreaking initiatives.
- Broader Skill Set: Inclusion fosters empathy, adaptability, and communication skills. These soft skills are increasingly valuable in the modern workplace and can empower men to become more effective leaders and collaborators.
- Professional Growth: By actively supporting inclusion efforts, men demonstrate their commitment to a fair and equitable workplace. This not only enhances their personal brand but also opens doors for career growth and leadership opportunities.
- Enhanced Work Environment: Inclusive workplaces tend to have higher morale and employee satisfaction. When men actively promote an inclusive culture, they contribute to a healthier and more positive work environment for everyone.
- Societal Impact: By championing inclusion, men can be powerful advocates for a more equitable society. Your influence extends beyond the workplace, helping to shape a world where diversity is celebrated, not just tolerated.
Inclusion isn't a zero-sum game. It's about creating a level playing field where everyone can thrive. So, let's all work together to build inclusive workplaces and communities.
As men, we have a unique role to play in driving positive change and making the world a better place for everyone.
Let's keep the conversation going! What are your thoughts on the role of men in championing inclusion? Please get in touch and let me know, firstname.lastname@example.orgBack to blog